Karim Altaii, Ph.D.
Registered Professional Engineer
- Office: ISAT/CS 323
- Phone: 540-568-2966
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address:
701 Carrier Drive
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Ph.D., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York
- M.Phil., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York
- M.E., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City College of the City University of New York
- B.Sc., Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Baghdad. Magna Cum Laude (first in a class of 172 graduates)
- Over 25 years of academic experience teaching mechanical engineering, instrumentation, Energy and applied science at JMU, University of Turabo in Puerto Rico and the City College of the City University of New York.
- U.S. Department of State, Office of Near Eastern Affairs-Iraq (NEA/I), Washington DC: Franklin Fellow. Foreign Affairs Officer-Expert. Capacity building in Iraq with the focus on Higher Education and building partnerships between U.S. and Iraqi Universities.
- Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico: Visiting Faculty. Computational Fluid Dynamics simulations of a hybrid system solar concentrator and the development of a light-weight, wind-turbine-rotor-based data acquisition system.
- NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia: Visiting Faculty. Flow quality improvement in the 8 ft High Temperature Hypersonic Tunnel.
- Tie Communications, Inc., Seymour, Connecticut: Consultant. Analysis of tolerance in the design of the central control unit of business telephone systems.
Scholarly Interests/Research Topics
- Fluid-Thermal Sciences
- Renewable Energy Applications
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
- International Education
- Exchanges and University Partnerships
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor as Incorporated into Solar Tracking Mechanism,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas. U.S. Patent Number 7,692,091.
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,316,840
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,307,818
- “Solar Tracking Sensor Array,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, patent pending (2009/0314279).
- “Inverted-Sprinkler System: Base and Support,” Karim Altaii, U.S. Patent Number 8,453,948).
- March 21
Engaged Students Conference
Montpelier Room and Foyer 2nd Floor East Campus Dining Hall
- March 28-29
Virginia State Science and Engineering Fair
Virginia Military Institute
- April 11
Senior Capstone Symposium
- April 11-12
ISAT 20th Anniversary Celebration
- April 11 and 14
Open house for admitted students
- April 24
Faraday Lecture: The Future of 3D Printing
- April 24
Malta Informational Session
- May 9 and 10