Karim Altaii, Ph.D.
Registered Professional Engineer
- Office: ISAT/CS 323
- Phone: 540-568-2966
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing Address:
701 Carrier Drive
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Ph.D., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York
- M.Phil., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York
- M.E., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City College of the City University of New York
- B.Sc., Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Baghdad. Magna Cum Laude (first in a class of 172 graduates)
- Over 25 years of academic experience teaching mechanical engineering, instrumentation, Energy and applied science at JMU, University of Turabo in Puerto Rico and the City College of the City University of New York.
- U.S. Department of State, Office of Near Eastern Affairs-Iraq (NEA/I), Washington DC: Franklin Fellow. Foreign Affairs Officer-Expert. Capacity building in Iraq with the focus on Higher Education and building partnerships between U.S. and Iraqi Universities.
- Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico: Visiting Faculty. Computational Fluid Dynamics simulations of a hybrid system solar concentrator and the development of a light-weight, wind-turbine-rotor-based data acquisition system.
- NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia: Visiting Faculty. Flow quality improvement in the 8 ft High Temperature Hypersonic Tunnel.
- Tie Communications, Inc., Seymour, Connecticut: Consultant. Analysis of tolerance in the design of the central control unit of business telephone systems.
Scholarly Interests/Research Topics
- Fluid-Thermal Sciences
- Renewable Energy Applications
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
- International Education
- Exchanges and University Partnerships
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor as Incorporated into Solar Tracking Mechanism,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas. U.S. Patent Number 7,692,091.
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,316,840
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,307,818
- “Solar Tracking Sensor Array,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, patent pending (2009/0314279).
- “Inverted-Sprinkler System: Base and Support,” Karim Altaii, U.S. Patent Number 8,453,948).
- November 15 - December 15
2013 Governor's Holiday Hoops Classic
A friendly food drive/donation competition between JMU, Virginia Tech, VCU and Hampton. Donate food items in barrels placed throughout campus.
- December 11
December Senior Capstone Symposium
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
ISAT/CS 148 and HHS 1201
- February 17
- March 19-20
Intelligence and the Transition from War to Peace Conference
- April 11
Senior Capstone Symposium
- April 24
Malta Informational Session
- CISE Study Abroad Opportunity
Semester in London 2014
Welcome from ISATWelcome to the Department of Integrated Science and Technology! Our students and faculty study the application of a broad range of sciences and technologies to problems of current societal importance. We focus not only on the technical issues but also on how to ensure that these solutions will be embraced by society. More >
Dr. Bob Kolvoord, Professor in the Department of Integrated Science and Technology (ISAT) and Interim Dean for the College of Integrated Science and Engineering (CISE), had a unique opportunity to serve as a GIS ambassador to students and teachers in Ghana. Read Story >