Karim Altaii, Ph.D.
Registered Professional Engineer
- Office: ISAT/CS 323
- Phone: 540-568-2966
- Email: email@example.com
- Mailing Address:
701 Carrier Drive
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Ph.D., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York
- M.Phil., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City University of New York
- M.E., Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City College of the City University of New York
- B.Sc., Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Baghdad. Magna Cum Laude (first in a class of 172 graduates)
- Over 25 years of academic experience teaching mechanical engineering, instrumentation, Energy and applied science at JMU, University of Turabo in Puerto Rico and the City College of the City University of New York.
- U.S. Department of State, Office of Near Eastern Affairs-Iraq (NEA/I), Washington DC: Franklin Fellow. Foreign Affairs Officer-Expert. Capacity building in Iraq with the focus on Higher Education and building partnerships between U.S. and Iraqi Universities.
- Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico: Visiting Faculty. Computational Fluid Dynamics simulations of a hybrid system solar concentrator and the development of a light-weight, wind-turbine-rotor-based data acquisition system.
- NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, Virginia: Visiting Faculty. Flow quality improvement in the 8 ft High Temperature Hypersonic Tunnel.
- Tie Communications, Inc., Seymour, Connecticut: Consultant. Analysis of tolerance in the design of the central control unit of business telephone systems.
Scholarly Interests/Research Topics
- Fluid-Thermal Sciences
- Renewable Energy Applications
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
- International Education
- Exchanges and University Partnerships
- “Solar Tracking Sensor Array,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,692,173. April 8, 2014.
- “Inverted-Sprinkler System: Base and Support,” Karim Altaii, U.S. Patent Number 8,453,948. June 4, 2013.
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,316,840. November 27, 2012.
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas, U.S. Patent Number 8,307,818. November 13, 2012.
- “Shape Memory Alloy Motor as Incorporated into Solar Tracking Mechanism,” Karim Altaii and Benjamin Thomas. U.S. Patent Number 7,692,091. April 6, 2010.
- Assistant/Associate Professor of GS/IA
- Assistant/Associate Professor of IA
- February 26
11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Spring Internship and Career Fair
- February 27
2nd Annual K-12 STEM Educator’s Workshop
- February 27-28
Capital Region Celebration of Women in Computing
- March 9-13
- April 10 & 13
- April 17
ISAT/CS & HHS
Senior Capstone Event