Wayne S. Teel, Ph.D.
- Office: ISAT/CS 113
- Phone: 540-568-2798
- Email: email@example.com
- Mailing Address:
701 Carrier Drive
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22807
- Ph.D. Cornell University: Agroforestry, Soil Science and International Agriculture
- M.S., Cornell University, Natural Resources
- MTS Gordon-Conwell, Church History
- B.S. Seattle Pacific University, Chemistry
- 9 years in Sudan, Kenya and Mozambique with the Mennonite Central Committee primarily working on agroforestry projects with an emphasis on small, subsistence farming systems.
- teaching at Eastern Mennonite University focusing on environment and development in situations of conflict.
- working with Virginia Save Our Streams on water monitoring and water quality issues.
- 12 years + on the Board of the Pure Water Forum in the Shenandoah Valley
- Agroforestry – worked on identifying and developing information on trees useful for agroforestry primarily in Kenya, but with additional experience in 5 other countries. Results of this work are found at http://agroforesttrees.cisat.jmu.edu/
- Biochar – This is in essence using charcoal as a soils amendment to improve soil fertility and sequester carbon. Research on this topic is expanding rapidly. I started doing research on this with students in the ISAT Program in 2007.
- Permaculture – These ideas were originally developed by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren in Australia and have now become the most common way of improving local, small scale agriculture.
- Water – In the Shenandoah Valley this issue relates to nutrient pollution from agriculture. In Africa issues focus on availability and sanitation. I am interested in looking at both.
- March 21
Engaged Students Conference
Montpelier Room and Foyer 2nd Floor East Campus Dining Hall
- March 28-29
Virginia State Science and Engineering Fair
Virginia Military Institute
- April 11
Senior Capstone Symposium
- April 11-12
ISAT 20th Anniversary Celebration
- April 11 and 14
Open house for admitted students
- April 24
Faraday Lecture: The Future of 3D Printing
- April 24
Malta Informational Session
- May 9 and 10